[Year 12 IT Apps] Study design - legislation

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 08:47:06 EST 2010

Hi Roland and colleagues,

Those who do have a research interest might find this new Australian network
from ACER useful - http://dern.org.au/

*"Digital Education Research Network (DERN) is a network of researchers
interested in research about education and the use of digital technologies
to improve teaching and learning. It focuses mainly on Australian research
although not exclusively. DERN is looking for research evidence about good
educational and learning practices. Please join us to share your insights
into and knowledge of research into teaching and learning using digital
technologies."*

As for the benefits of a further degree - I guess there are better ways to
get a better return financially, but it does have benefits it terms of a
wider understanding. Though Stephen Heppell pointed out that the average
number of times a PhD thesis is borrowed from a research library is (from
memory) about 2. And one of these is probably the author's mother...

Maybe what's missing is a process to make research findings more useful to
school practice, and a willingness/incentive for schools to take on serious
research. For example - the rollout of computers for Years 9-12 across an
entire country under the "Pennies from Kevin" DER scheme seems to be an
ideal scenario for some research (esp given the massive amount of
longitudinal data held by school systems). But this would be well down the
priority list for most schools as there are many more crucial tasks needed
to keep the school operating (and a shortage of people to do them).

But .. there has to be some way to make the act of research more relevant to
school operation and teaching practice in our subject areas. But perhaps
that starts to stray off-topic.

kp

Ken Price
Principal Education Officer, eCentre, DoE Tasmania / President, TASITE
www.tasite.tas.edu.au