[Year 12 IT Apps] information needed for gantt charts

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 08:35:52 EST 2009

The problem with Excel is that it's not intended to do the job of
project management (just as it's not intended to be a database).

Creating a chart is one thing, modifying it it another.  In a real PM
tool, making a change automatically rearranges the other tasks to suit.

Antonia Caridi wrote:
> I use Excel as well for reasons given by Geoff but also the aim is for
> students to understand Project Management and have awareness of common
> symbols used to denote milestones, predecessors, etc - all of which can
> be easily done with Excel. There was some controversy prior to this SD
> regarding an exam question where the Gantt diagram given had been
> created with MS Project and it was felt by many teachers that a  lot of
> students did poorly on the question as they did not recognise the MS
> Project interface.
> Students need to use a spreadsheet program in Unit 4 so it can also
> serve as a good intro to that.
>
> Antonia
>
> Antonia Caridi
> Sacre Coeur
> 172 Burke Road
> Glen Iris 3146
> Telephone 9885 4501
> Fax 9885 5936

> Brendyn
>
> I believe in keeping it simple for the students and use Excel.  With
> many needing to learn Access or a database it is a bit hard to have them
> learn another software type.
>
> I find students easily learn the principles of project management and
> enjoy putting it all together in Excel.
>
> Obviously, if students have had the opportunity to learn Access in 2008
> then teaching a new software is OK.  Unfortunately, I do not have that
> luxury at RMIT where most of our students are new to us and have not
> necessarily had Year 11, let alone Years 9 and 10, IT experience.
>
> Geoff Moss
> RMIT

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253