[Year 12 IT Apps] Any ideas please

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 20 12:15:05 EST 2009

This, I feel, is a good case of Just Don't Do It.  I'd use a database
instead of a spreadsheet - e.g. Filemaker can do customised mass emails
very easily.

Excel and merge have been complete pains - especially when trying to
format the output and do conditional merges.

Said, Joseph J wrote:
> Dear List
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to solve a problem for a friend of mine.
>
> He needs to mail merge a large number of employees in his workplace and then send out individual emails with the data from the mail merge. Does anyone know of a way to mailmerge into a email and then to be able to hit send once which will then send out individual emails with each persons details on each email.
>
> The mail merge part is standard, but I am not sure of getting it into an email (apart from attaching the word files to each seperate email and sending them individually, which is a problem when you have 500 employees)
>
>  thanks in advance for any suggestions
>
> Joe Said
>
> Rosehill Secondary College
> ICT Teacher
> Sapphire street, Niddrie, 3042
> Ph: 9337 2488
> Email: said.joseph.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
>
> Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
McKinnon Rd, McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085 Fax +613 9578 9253

Sleep: A dangerous substitute for caffeine.