[Year 12 IT Apps] From the Administrator -- OT: Rudd Money and Off Topic discussion

David Eddie deddie at sjcmda.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 5 10:01:31 EST 2008

Here here Kevork!!!

This has been, and continues to be, a fabulous place for discussion and the sharing of ideas and resources for IT Apps 3 and 4 and I hope it continues to be.
While there can be "diversions" off-topic I think that most of these come from a definite need and this does seem to be a list which reaches a large audience where help and advice is always forthcoming. Many of these discussions, though they don't affect me personally, do serve to keep me in touch with "what else is going on out there" and I think this is a good thing. Besides, if I really don't want to focus on a thread it is not a chore to simply delete the emails related to it.
My personal opinion is that at present it's working fine and with a couple of the suggestions you made, will continue to do so.

Keep up the good work!

David Eddie
St Joseph's College
MILDURA,

Dear Colleagues,

 Fortunately or otherwise since its inception and earlier incarnation as
"ipm", the "itapps" list has become the "go to" list for anything and
everything any IT teacher experiences in education.

    I have always intended Edulists to serve teachers rather than the other
way around.   However, there are responsibilities that come with using a
mailing list specifically related to a subject - in this case IT
applications Units 3 and 4.

    It is nice to share details of a good day or a bad day or an indifferent
day as I hope we consider each other colleagues working closely. Sometimes
this does stray into off topic material and can dilute the mailing list and
annoy or irritate teachers of IT Apps. Not all of these people are IT
coordinators, or timetablers or reporting coordinators or laptop School
Nominated Representatives(SNR) , or in government schools for that matter...
   As a sad personal note, our last IT apps class was in 2004 and for the
first time since the VCE, there is to be no Software Development in 2009.
So, I should not need to remain on the IT Apps list but choose to do so as there
is much discussion outside of IT Apps I don't want to miss due to the way the list has been used.

   For the lists to survive we all need to :
      1.  allow some slack for genuine mistakes
      2.  redirect posts to the right list through gentle reminders if they
are genuinely off topic
      3.  encourage everyone to post without fear of having their heads
bitten off
      4.  support the moderator ( Mark Kelly ) who does a brilliant job
      5.  get the admin ( Kevork Krozian ) to periodically post info about
other lists so people can be made aware of them and encouraged to join.
      6.  agree we can never please everybody all the time and no system is
perfect
      7.  remind each other of netiquette guidelines found at
www.edulists.com.au , netiquette link.
      8 . take care we don't get a high "chaff to wheat" ratio by hijacking
the itapps list for all IT and other issues.
      9.  any other suggestions ......

    Any objections or comments regarding this ?

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> 4/09/2008 10:19 am >>>
Hi Adrian.  I'm sympathetic - I go OT myself occasionally because this
is where most of the people are - but lengthy OT threads do pollute the
purpose of the list, and they do annoy people.

I don't mind deleting the occasional OT, but when they drown out
legitimate postings they kill the reason for coming here.  People are
here because the list is useful to their ITA needs.  Reduce that
usefulness, and people leave.

Usenet has long known this problem, and the only Usenet groups that tend
to thrive nowadays are the moderated ones.

I've maintained a loose hold on the reins here, allowing minor and brief
OT threads, especially if topics are hot and urgent (e.g. reporting or
Rudd at certain times).  But continuous OT is a different matter.

At the risk of sparking an OT flood, what do Kevork and other people
here think?

Cheers
Mark

Adrian Janson wrote:
> Hi Mark (and all),
>
> Can I suggest a compromise?
>
> The last thing that I (or others) will want to do is to subscribe to a dozen
> more lists based on topics that are the topics of the moment - nor would I
> really want to subscribe to an 'Off-topic' list for the reasons you have
> stated.  This community is so well established that I feel it is entirely
> reasonably to have this sort of discussion on this list - it's really
> discussions about the football or the weather that are truly 'off-topic'.
>
> If those posting off-topic use the subject header of the message to state
> this clearly, then those not interested in reading the emails simply need to
> press the delete key (as I sometimes do).  It's a slight inconvenience but I
> feel a fair one.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> Adrian Janson,
> VITTA President
> Director of ICT,
> Melbourne High School,
> Forrest Hill, South Yarra 3141 Australia.
> Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
> Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
> E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
> Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au
> Blog: http://jansona.edublogs.org

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.