[Year 12 IT Apps] Unit 3 - Outcome 2

Brendyn Hancock hancobr at nagle.sale.catholic.edu.au
Tue May 1 09:11:01 EST 2007

Thank you Mark.

It may have been only 2.2 cents worth but I'd say they were US$0.022
and at current rates that values your contribution at
0.0265130 AUD
A simple 3 paragraph explanation.

Thanks

Brendyn

Brendyn Hancock
IT Manager
bhancock at nagle.sale.catholic.edu.au
Nagle College
5152 6122
Bairnsdale VIC 3875

those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Nagle
College, Bairnsdale.

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> 01/05/2007 8:46 am >>>
I thought of it like this: the website is a site (or section of a
larger
site) with access restricted to a team that needs to share information

and make decisions in order to complete a project.  Kids do not have to

produce a website for the public - it's purely for the virtual team's
needs.

The tools available on this restricted site enable that knowledge
sharing and decision making (e.g. forums, online voting, mailing lists,

file repositories, networked calendars, IRC etc)

The tools do not all need to be functional (hence the term 'prototype
website'), but should indicate that the student knows WHAT tools are
available and relevant, and HOW and WHY they are relevant.

e.g. kids could find a web forum, take a screenshot and replace the
text
with a graphics program so it looks like the team members are
organising
a time for a videoconference, or discussing the pros and cons of an
idea.  The kid could then stick the image on their webpage so it looks

like a real and active forum.  In that way the student has demonstrated

awareness of the value of a given tool in helping the virtual team
achieve its goals.

The task wants kids more to demonstrate _understanding_ than to be able

to (say) magically construct a working Moodle in 3 periods on a network

that is so tied-down with security that it's simply impossible even if

they had the time and the skill.

2.2 cents worth

Mark

Paul Miller wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Been a while since I've written to the list, although Unit 3 -
Outcome 2
> has inspired me to do so!
>
> I was curious about the virtual teams website.
>
> Is it just a virtual teams prototype website for a company or do we
need
> to include some "normal" website pages (e.g. company info etc) and
then
> links to the virtual teams prototype component? I would think that it
is
> the latter given we are expected to look at formats and conventions
etc.

> I've taught IPM for 7 years now, and must confess that this is the
first
> time I am a little dissapointed with an assessment task. I'm quite
> confused about the exact requirements of the task and don't really
see
> the point in using screen dumps and copy and paste to create a
virtual
> teams prototype, or creating one from scratch. Surely it would never
be
> done with this sort of hassle in the industry (mind you, this comes
from
> someone who hasn't worked a day in the industry so excuse my
naivity).
> At year 12 level, I would would hope they would be doing something
more
> meaningful than this in a 400 minute SAC. Dunno, maybe I'm missing
> something.
>
> Anyway, thats my whinge for the day,
>
> Good luck to all!
>
> Paul.
>
> ____________________________________
> Paul Miller
> Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College (OLSH)
> 111 Jasper Road
> BENTLEIGH 3204
> Ph: (03) 9563 9522  Fax: (03) 9563 9484
>
> pmiller at olsh.vic.edu.au
> http://www.olsh.vic.edu.au/Sports%20Website/index.htm
> This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not
disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the
intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College
does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free. The attached
files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user
assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting
directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether
caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions
in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.

> <<<<GWAVAsig>>>>
Authority and
Teachers Association Inc

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Authority and
Teachers Association Inc