[Year 12 IT Apps] Fwd: VELS and semester reporting - please advise

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 7 11:01:00 EST 2007

1.  Blame VELS

2.  Rest assured that there are very few twins so the problem will be
uncommon .

3.  Blame VELS again

4.  But seriously, folks.  Knowing that an elective could be done in sem
1 or sem 2 should lead teachers to base their progression point on the
VELS standard for that yearlevel and that semester to keep the domain
grade sensible.

Year 9 Kid X doing the elective in sem 1 would be judged against the
standard for sem 1 (e.g. 5.25) and twin Kid Y in sem 2 would be judged
against the standard for sem 2 (5.5).

That way, their VELS score is balanced against their chronological age.

At least, that's what I'd do as a teacher entering VELS scores.  In fact
I only have VCE this year so it's not an issue except for the fact that
I'm the bunny writing the database to do our reporting, including VELS.
  It all works well, but the XML data inport/export is a pain.  I'm
cheating by using Filemaker to generate the domain scores and Visual
Basic to turn the data into XML to export to CASES21 :-)