[Year 12 Its] OT-Design and IT

Russell Woodford rwood at shc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed May 10 18:53:13 EST 2006

Hi Frank

It sound like it fits perfectly into the VELS model for an Arts
subject - in fact "technology" becomes an integral part of every
other subject/domain under VELS.  But you know that - you just have
to convince your art person!

We have a Yr 9/10 subject here called "Computer Aided Design"  which
has usually been an arts subject taught by arts staff who have the
necessary skills and inclination - they use tools like Photoshop and
Illustrator to produce "art works".  On the other hand, we have a
similar unit called "Desktop Publishing" that is clearly an  IT unit
- again it uses Photoshop for the first half, and we do a small
amount of "digital art" but the main focus is the Design Cycle.  We
then move to InDesign to do real DTP stuff once they have the
Photoshop skills and a better understanding of the Design Cycle.

You are correct - it's the PURPOSE of the unit that should determine
which faculty writes it, runs it, and refines it.  If the main
purpose is to teach IT skills and an understanding of the design
process, then it's a technology unit.  If the main purpose is
producing artistic works, then to me it's an Arts subject.  The VELS
structure is a useful guide here:

Arts is broken into 2 dimensions - Creating and making  -  Exploring
and responding

The unit you describe seems to fit neatly into "creating and making"
- the use of  ICT tools also meets the requirement of addressing  the
Interdisciplinary domains of Design, Creativity and Technology
[Investigating & Designing] and  ICT [Creating].

Cheers

Russell Woodford

rwood at shc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Learning Technologies Coordinator
Sacred Heart College Geelong
http://www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not
the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information
in this email. If received in error, please notify us immediately and
delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that
this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly
from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence
of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not
necessarily those of the College.