[Year 12 Its] Update on the exam centred course delivery

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Thu May 4 12:07:57 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

    I got my students to do both the 2005 and 2004 VCAA exams. Their results are attached ( names removed ). Furthermore, their individual question results are displayed with conditional fomatting where the loss of one or more marks is shown as red, with full marks as green. I used moodle to get the students to upload their results to simplify data capture or you can use a normal web page and make a form .
     My next task is to actually map the question against the key knowledge item in the Study Design.

   With each section of theory we now more deliberately look at the specific exam question where the theory was tested , even after we finished the exam. Eg. I hand back the exam and ask the students to do it again.

         Examples include Data Dictionary , key knowledge item 7 in SAC32 ( Unit 3, Outcome 2 ) states :
                      .  logical design techniques for documenting the results of the analysis, including context diagrams, data flow diagrams and data dictionaries;

                                      Question(s) in the 2005 exam relevant was Part B, Q2 referring to the Data Dictionary in the Case Study.  Before I did the theory I gave back the exam and highlighted the question.  We finished the theory and then I asked them to do the question on the exam again with the theory under their belt. I then discussed how they would approach this type of question in future. So it is very much an iteration comprising  a) identify exam question(s),  b) cover the theory  c) revisit to exam question(s) to repeat.

      Interestingly we have been running some meetings at school with our Principal  where we are trying to respond to Year 12 results by looking at data from last year and the last several years including individual questions of Year 12 exams and the class average vs the state average.  Personally, I am not paying too much attention to how last year's cohort performed against the state in each quesion precisely because the fact these students are now gone is the point. The extra variable of the students being different last year is arguably not the best instrument to use to work with this year's cohort.

    We will continue with 2 exams per term in class even if it takes chunks out of our SACs.

   Glad to hear more opinions

Keep well

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College