[Year 12 Its] Re: [Yr7-10it] Linux v XP

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Jan 31 10:55:59 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:48:51AM +1100, Rob Attrill wrote:
> Greetings to all,
>
> Apologies to those who for whom this is a cross posting, however, as I
> teach/have taught Systems, IPM and IT at year 10 I realised that the
> issue would have interested me regardless, so it might interest you as well.
>
> I am planning an install by Year 10 students of a dual boot (XP and Red
> Hat) to give them the experience and also to give them a means of
> comparison between the two O/S's. I was wondering if anyone has done any
> work or created any exercises comparing the two, or has any classroom
> type exercise material on Red Hat in particular.

Are you after a 'user' level comparison, or a 'system administrator' level
comparison?

The first one has questions like "how do you launch these applications and
copy data between them to create a live link to an online data source?"
and the other has questions like "how do you configure the web-server to
accept incoming requests only from the local intranet IP address range?"

There are probably more comparisons of the latter than the former, as many
IT professionals need to know both Windows and Linux from a system admin
perspective.

Have you googled for such comparison charts or documents?

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)