[Year 12 Its] Re: Prim vs Secondary

Kevin Feely feely.kevin.k at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed May 25 13:04:51 EST 2005

Hi Kevork,
you warm the cockles of my heart!
But

snip...

If so, why doesn't a biography "endorsed" by the person whose life it is about elevate that work to a primary source ???

...snip
No it cant, primary sources are those with direct experience, the
biographer relates the story as told to him by the person, his friends,
enemies, and published articles, even if verified by the person as true
and correct it is still secondary. The police report may be true and
accurate from witness statements but is always secondary.

> Also, we seem to by restricting a Secondary source to one where there has to be some processing . Whilst this may happen and is commonly the case, a restatement of the primary data from someone who was not a witness can still make that a secondary source. Therefore, it is neither sufficient, nor necessary for some "processing" or reinterpretation of data to take place to tag a source as primary.

yepyepyepyepyepyep - I think i love you!

regards
KevinF