[Year 12 Its] Re: Prim vs Secondary

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed May 25 10:13:14 EST 2005

Hi once more,

     I can't help but feel each re-interpretation of what constitutes primary and what constitutes secondary data sources is causing us to slip further into the quicksand.

Eg.  We are having the "endorsement" of a primary witness in the writing of a secondary version as elevating the secondary source to "primary" status as in the programmers endorsing what the technical writer prepares in the documentation .
  If so, why doesn't a biography "endorsed" by the person whose life it is about elevate that work to a primary source ???

 Also, we seem to by restricting a Secondary source to one where there has to be some processing . Whilst this may happen and is commonly the case, a restatement of the primary data from someone who was not a witness can still make that a secondary source. Therefore, it is neither sufficient, nor necessary for some "processing" or reinterpretation of data to take place to tag a source as primary. Says who  ?  Please see one of the links supplied by the industry contributor at http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/infosrv/lue/primary.html

   All the links supplied by the industry contacts refer to primary as a witness who was at the scene when the event took place and a secondary as someone removed from the scene who is using primary data to restate or interpret what has happened. See http://www.bergen.cc.nj.us/Library/userguide/IV_A_prim_sec.html ,  http://www.lib.ecu.edu/Reference/workshop/primary.html  and http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/infosrv/lue/primary.html

   Back to the exam:
    1. Technical documentation ?    Can't tell until you tell me if the writer was a primary witness to the events about which he is writing. Being in the organisation would qualify him as a primary witness.
    2. Error logs of an information system ?   Can be auto generated by software, reported by an employee, appear in a testing table or be reported by a customer to the Herald Sun as in the case of CityLink overcharging people $000s of dollars obviously due to an "error in the information system". All sources of error logs by people who are primary witnesses to the events are primary sources.

  I take it there are no volunteers to contact the VCAA as yet  ?

Best Wishes
Kevork
Forest Hill College

>>> tigeroz at alphalink.com.au 05/24/05 11:10pm >>>
This is my last contribution as I have more immediate problems to attend
to, like teaching...
The analogies to biographies are invalid. Biographies by definition are
secondary sources; only an autobiography can be a primary data source of
a person's life.

Secondary data sources are a sources that have processed, interpreted,
or manipulated (in the sense of organising to suit a particular bias)
primary data.
The crime witness statements are primary data because they are direct
evidence of an event, despite the fact that there may be several
different observations of the event. A news report of a crime event is
secondary data because the reporter has collected witness statements and
processed and interpreted them to provide a summary for readers. If the
reporter works for a particular newspaper he/she may even manipulate the
data eg the headline "Another burglary in town" has a quite different
connotation from the headline "Crime wave! - Second burglary in a week!'

Now, as to technical documentation - the instructions about how to
maintain a program/application or computer that are supplied with the
software or hardware. I reckon it is primary data as it is provided by
the creator of the program/application (regardless of whom they employed
to write it because it has to be approved by the creators). If similar
documentation is written for that equipment by another source eg 'DOS
for Dummies' then that is secondary data because the author is working
from the primary data source and does not have the privileged
information available to insiders.  Quite often, of course, the
secondary data is better written but that is not the point.
I would be interested to hear the views of other examiners but I fear we
have spent too much time already on this. I hope the people on the VCE
IT Reaccreditation Committee have taken note of how much time has been
devoted to this tiny topic!!

Ciao,
Charmaine Taylor
Sunbury Downs College