[Year 12 Its] Re: Naming Conventions

Bricks J. Winzer bjwinzer at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 15 02:03:33 EST 2005

> I dunno - you youngsters got no stamina
> Whats wrong with a bit of assembly language - beats hand assembling
> machine code.

I did one subject in 1996 in Bus Sys which had an assignment requiring
short programs written in assembly.  One was to link to a Pascal prog
and another to a FORTRAN prog.  I found it a good way to show the
logic of a program - the main issue is one that continues today in
programming, keywords which don't seem obvious in meaning.

> Back in the good ole days of the Commodore 64, if you wanted to do
> anything interesting you had a choice of 6502 assembly language or 6502
> assembly language. In those days a Hacker spent hours studying
> dis-assemblies of the BASIC ROM chips to learn how to program the beast,
> not working out how to spread malicious code across WANs

Well - 6502 language, but the C64 had a 6510 microprocessor.  From the
fragments of code I've seen, it seems a bit cleaner than Z80.

Machine code was great if you wanted to do stuff like creating an
"OLD" command (to retrieve a prog erased by "NEW"), or programming
function keys to do new tasks.  Distributing said programs in
computing magazines and having the reader key these in with a hex
editor... sadism at its finest :)