[Year 12 Its] Primary vs Secondary Data Sources

Mike Brookes mikeb at labyrinth.net.au
Sat May 14 17:01:17 EST 2005

Don't you love it when older definitions are stretched to cover "new
technology"?
It is also possible that the data in the computer could be processed and
the information that it represents is still primary.

A hypothetical situation:
Several people witness a bank robbery. Thinking to earn money from the
local newspaper, they all rush home, fire up the trusty computer and
type a letter to the editor. In typing the letter many words are moved
round, changed, spell checked, grammar checked and re-formatted. The
finished file is then sent via the net to the newspaper. The bits and
bytes of data that represent each witness's account of what happened
have undergone a fair amount of processing but the the email at the
newspaper office is still a primary source of information because it is
from a direct witness.

A reporter at the newspaper is too lazy to go round to the source of the
crime and figures it would be too late anyway. Said reporter reads the
emails and notices similarities and differences between the emails.
Reporter reckons that details that match in several emails are probably
correct and synthesizes an account based on these emails. This report
receives similar editing to the emails. The reporter's account is
Secondary information, not because of the processing, but because the
reporter did not have first hand knowledge of the situation.

Mike Brookes
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Copperfield College