[Year 12 Its] Primary vs Secondary Data Sources

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Fri May 13 17:57:07 EST 2005

I agree Charmaine, it depends on whether the data has been interpreted or
re-worked

hence I would qualify this statement somewhat (as per BJ Winzer)

> Computer output - wouldn't that be secondary data?  It's been
> processed, either automatically or manually.  I'm thinking that
> primary = "raw" data, so if it undergoes any process then it's not raw
> any more.

If the computer output is only what was input (input > store > retrieve >
output) then it is still primary data. Going through a computer does not
automatically qualify data as 'secondary' - it depends on what happens to it
on the way through!

Regards
Robert T-A