[Year 12 Its] Re: Naming Conventions

Bricks J. Winzer bjwinzer at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 11 17:47:49 EST 2005

>> I tell students when using VB that objects should have a prefix frm or lbl
>> etc to indicate their type.

I remember being introduced to this in my Bus Sys degree, thought it
quite a novel way of doing things.  One thing worth pointing out is
that while "com" might represent Command in DOS, it's not a good idea
in VB, because it could mean Command button, Combo box, or Common
Dialog.

(I miss the Common Dialog - used to get a lot of mileage from it in
VB3...)

> Hence the reason you see Java adapting to mobile phone GUI's as much as
> Windows or Linux,

As Java was designed for "portable" applications (i.e. the Web's
viewability on multiple platforms), to me it makes sense for it to
branch into mobiles.  To be honest, I thought the idea of Java as a
general application development environment went totally against the
principle of Java - if you have to compile it for a platform then it
loses its purpose as a portable language.