[Year 12 IPM] A tip for outcome writing

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 23 22:25:07 EST 2006

This year I had a dream group of 6 kids in IPM, with a spread of
ability.
Well before each sac, I discussed with them what we had to learn and
roughly what skills, knowledge, techniques, procedures etc we needed to
cover in the sac (very casually, not in detail - just to give them a
feel for it) and asked for their suggestions as to what scenario would
be one that they would enjoy living through, that possibly contains
enough 'meat' for them to chew deeply, and any other things (apparantly
totally unrelated to the topics) thay would like to have included such
as music or footy, or underwater exploration, or photography (some
suggestions, although real-life, needed to be censored) etc.
Armed then with a host of ideas and suggestions (but having made no
promises) I locked myself away for the weekend and created the scenario
that permeated the preparation phase and also flowed through into the
actual sac. The kids responded well, and I didn't have to put energy
into motivating them - heard at times was the statement "This was MY
idea..."
I will always do it this way in the future.
Keith
(Yes Mark, but I haven't tried polygamy yet...)