[Year 12 IPM] Premade PHP tools for virtual teams

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 23 19:43:54 EST 2006

Size Problem Solutions -
1/ ascertain the upper size limit, then artificially set your own at 50%
or less than this.
2/ Use something like Vegas to create minute mp3 sound files by screwing
the quality down so that it is still understandable, but not much more
(you'll get around a 1,000 reduction easily). If it is still too big,
use Vegas (or something else) to chop it into bits people can listen to
sequentially, no problems - easy to do.
3/ for video, try the above, but use more highly comprewssed file types,
such as mpeg2, or wmp screwed down tightly until the quality is just
sufficient for your purpose/
4/ note also, when shooting the video on camera at the start, there are
some things you can do to significantly reduce file size yet retain
visual quality - e.g. a non-busy background such a featureless black,
and as little movement as possible except the person's smile and lips
moving. Keep the head central and frame tightly so that it is still
relatively big when screen size is reduced.
Cheers, Keith