[Year 12 IPM] music copyright

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 16:54:36 EST 2006

It's about information which makes it more central to our profession than
drugs or alcohol prohibition.

In this thread people are saying that they will break the law because it is
an ass and turn a blind eye to students breaking stupid laws. Fair enough.
However, I feel we have a broader social problem which requires political
action when copyright laws exist which turn citizens into criminals.

To look at the US experience:
"According to the NY Times, 43 million Americans downloaded music in May
2002. According to the RIAA, the behaviour of those 43 million Americans is
a felony. We thus have a set of rules that transform 20 percent of Americans
into criminals ..." Lessig, Free Culture, 199

It's not going to go away. Copyright law is being strengthened in Australia
as we speak.

How do teachers feel about the ethical dilemma of teaching copyright law in
our courses and encouraging or turning a blind eye to students breaking that
law when our employer has a clear expectation that we, as teachers, will not
indulge in criminal activity and we can be sacked for doing so. Wouldn't
happen you think? Check out some of the things that have been happening in
the USA which is a bit further down the track on this issue than us. eg. a
young student, Jesse Jordan, prosecuted for $15 million dollars damages for
wilful violation of copyright law in 2002

I've recently joined the pirate party of australia, which is ridiculously
small at the moment, but, nevertheless, I feel obliged to become political
on this issue, based on my understanding of the information wars, which have
already started, and which will intensify in the future.

The pirate party originated in Sweden and obtained 34,918 votes, or 0.63% of
the popular vote. It's platform is reform of intellectual property laws -
copyright, patent and the closely related issue of privacy

Information wars: commons v. proprietary, well, isn't it natural for
teachers to support the maintenance or expansion of the commons (and not
their restriction which is the way the Law is going), since our profession
is based on the free and generous sharing of information?

Nor would it be wise IMO to just assume that the side that supports the
maintenance / expansion of the commons will  just win  because that is
"sensible"  and the other side is ridiculous and laughable.  It is laughable
but common sense does  not always  win.

my blog post on the pirate party, as I said its ridiculously small in
australia, but I feel that some action is better than none and hopefully
this group or similar groups will grow
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2006/11/pirate-party-of-australia.html

my blog post on information wars:
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2006/11/battle-for-freedom-of-information.html