[Year 12 IPM] OT - Edumail Exasperation

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Tue Nov 14 22:45:56 EST 2006

I keep playing with Outlook and then find it won't do something or other
I've always taken for granted in a mail client. I tend to use
Thunderbird on my WinXP machine but on Linux I use
Mutt/Fetchmail/Procmail/Sendmail! Just call me old fashioned but I love
text based apps (speed+) :)

The Thunderbird features I find most useful are the filtering tools
combined with labelling. Maybe you can do that with Outlook but I never
found it very configurable - as for importing mail from Outlook Express
into Outlook - I needed to use Eudora's import/export tools!

Evolution is too Outlook-like for me but I do like its virtual folders
which have been picked up in Thunderbird as saved dynamic searches.

To return to the original thread - our mail configuration doesn't delete
ALL the records from pop3.edumail so I have needed to visit EDumail's web
interface to do an annual cleanout.

Laurie

On 2006-11-14 or thereabouts, Alexakos, Zach Z <alexakos.zach.z at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> I'm surprised Thunderbird hasn't been mentioned.  It has very effective
> spam filters, not that you need it with edumail, and the security,
> backup, interface and reliability hits many other programs for six.
>
> Eudora is quite a good alternative as well.
>
> Zach Alexakos

Laurie Savage
Assessment/Reporting/Tracking/Moodle
Pascoe Vale Girls College, Pascoe Vale, VIC.
+613 9306 2544 / http://www.jlsavage.net