[Year 12 IPM] OT - Edumail Exasperation

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Nov 14 21:18:15 EST 2006

Just a few comments and suggestions  :)
What exactly is the problem with edumail?
Cheers
Cameron

Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I would like to become divorced from Edumail, and go for custody of
> our 675 children (ie my inbox in edumail)
Have you thought of the implications regarding access to the global
address book?  This can be very handy.

>    *
>       Roland has the great idea of using gmail, and I used to use
>       Yahoo mail and import my edumail into it, but I have some
>       questions relating to the whole process.
>
>    *
>       The old version of yahoo still supports (I think) migrating my
>       edumail into it - but whereas it used to work it no longer does
>       - does anyone know the pop address to use (I thought it was
>       pop.edumail.vic.gov.au)
>
>    *
>       How can I do this in gmail? Does anyone know how to import other
>       pop mail into gmail - if in fact it can be done? I would like to
>       avoid using too many email addresses for education related
>       stuff. gmail will hold 2 gig of mail whereas yahoo holds 200 mb,
>       so obviously gmail would be preferable. I also need to be able
>       to get onto my edumail wherever I am (ie via the web)

I would suggest that size is not everything. Make sure that you are
happy with Google's privacy policy and the terms of use.

>    *
>       What is the size limit of edumail folders and how can I find out
>       how much space I have left? You used to be able to do this until
>       edumail went to a MS Exchange server.

Edumail mailbox size limit is (some schools trialling the new
version)/will be 100MB.  You can check the current status via Edumail
Support -> My tools on the web interface.

>    *
>       If I am near my capacity in edumail do I get a warning email, or
>       does it just stop delivering email to your inbox?

Yes- you get warnings at about 80%.

May I also suggest that the storage of school and professional emails
may be subject to legal document storage and retrieval requirements. If
you use Edumail, it is up to DET to ensure backup and archival storage.
If you start using another email for school related documents, you may
be on your own and if asked to produce any required emails......