[Year 12 IPM] music copyright

Frazer, Simon T frazer.simon.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 2 13:05:16 EST 2006

 I'm not 100% convinced that this is illegal. The same info sheet from
the Copyright Council says, on page 4:

How much of a music CD can a student copy?

The Copyright Act allows students to copy or otherwise use copyright
material for the purposes of their research and study, provided the use
is "fair".

It is important to bear in mind that, for copyright purposes, we look at
the copyright work (the words, music or recording of each song) rather
than at the album as a whole. In some circumstances, it may be a fair
dealing for research or study to copy the whole of a track from a CD for
the purpose of research or study. However, this exception would not
generally allow a student to copy the whole of a music CD for their
research or study if the CD is commercially available.

For further information about this exception, see our information sheet
Research or study.

Simon Frazer

Mentone Girls' SC