[Year 12 IPM] IPM Exam

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 2 08:39:28 EST 2006

Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:
> I seem to remember the last time I purchased a printer for my home network (and if I work on the helpdesk at school and can put networks together aren't I also a 'computer support person'?) it was the quick ref card I pulled out (basically to check the order they wanted me to do stuff like - plug into power, plug in USB, install drivers, turn printer on etc - not that it probably matters, but they always seem to insist on a particular order!) To me the question relies on the phrase "When installing" - and one would not NEED a technical manual to install the printer. I do admit that technical manuals are written for the technically competent, but I don't consider that the tech manual is NEEDED to INSTALL it. If the question had have been "When purchasing.." or "When troubleshooting a problem with the printer..." maybe the tech manual would be the choice.

Remember that a networked printer (with a NIC in it) is not as simple as
plugging in a USB printer.  Network protocols might need to be set in
the printer's firmware to get it compatible with the network's frames
(e.g. in the unlikely event the network uses IPX/SPX)

<snip>

> BTW Mark - how's the Ultranet panning out? I'm back at Bentleigh next year and wanting to get Moodle up and happening, but if we will all be forced to move to Ultranet then one wonders...

Ultranet funding has, I believe, passed through parliament and is
officially a Going Concern.

Dog only knows when it's likely to be seen in schools though.  They're
still building it.