[Year 12 IPM] OT: VELS ICT

Lesley Humphries humples at santamaria.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 2 08:27:54 EST 2006

Geraldine,

We have dealt with this by fitting it into 'creating'. For example, design and produce a Flash animation that explains how a particular item of hardware works, suitable for an audience of primary school students, or an audience of Year 9 students etc. You could probably also put it into 'visualising thinking' by using Inspiration to visually represent input, processing and output.

BTW, I have been looking at the progression points, and was quite distraught that their relationship to the Standards was very vague - but I have found out that the progression points should be used only as examples or guides - they are not prescriptive. Focus on the Standards, not the progression points.

Lesley

> With Year 12s now finished I have some time to look at VELS, particularly as
> it applies to our Year 7 level IT course. In looking out our current report
> where we have an outcome relating to the students knowledge of hardware and
> software concepts / components, I was wondering where such 'knowledge' fits
> into the VELS course. Given that ICT is not a discipline, I cannot see how
> basic knowledge of computers (which students are usually lacking in) fits
> into ICT for Visualising thinking, creating or communicating? Can anyone
> help with this question?
> Geraldine McKenna
> Avila College
> Mt Waverley