[Year 12 IPM] Your suggestions please

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Wed Mar 29 17:56:01 EST 2006

Hello Mark

> Maybe we need to get in the habit
> demonstrated by the 'Advice for Teachers' p.66 which refers to "DataBase
> Management Software" (DBMS) when talking about the application, and
> "database" when referring to the product of the DBMS?

I'll stand to be corrected but I think you'll find that (for ITA U3O1 at
least) this is what the study design does. For example, your quote from the
study design

> ITA U3O1 the design says
> that "students need to utilise a relational database [management
> software]"

 in full says "...students use database management software to create
solutions and information products that utilise a relational database"

The square brackets implication that you have put in is not intended.
Paraphrased (is that the word I want), the sentence in the study design
reads: "the students use FMP/Access/??? to create solutions and information
products that utilise a collection of related tables".

So while one could push the point that "it does not exactly say that
students need to CREATE a relational dB" it would not be correct to say that
" ... they could use a relational DBMS such as Filemaker but only create a
flatfile database with a single table" because then they would not be
utilising a relational database.

Regards
Robert T-A