[Year 12 IPM] Your suggestions please

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 29 10:38:19 EST 2006

Thanks for asking, Paula.

The 'Advice for Teachers' section of the Design is useful, but some
extra info would be handy...

I'd like additional sample detailed outcome tasks, with sample
assessment schemes for the additional and existing tasks.  e.g. when
assessing the student's success using a "range of functions", what dB
functions would be high value, and which would be trivial?

It would be valuable to have an idea of what level of difficulty would
be required to earn different marks, but I hope the assessment guide
will cover that.

Just to be annoyingly pedantic, I note that for ITA U3O1 the design says
that "students need to utilise a relational database [management
software]" but it does not exactly say that students need to CREATE a
relational dB ... they could use a relational DBMS such as Filemaker but
only create a flatfile database with a single table  :-)

Related to that, the Design uses the term "database" in different places
to refer to both the software (like FMP and Access) and the product of
the software (e.g. a music database).  Maybe we need to get in the habit
demonstrated by the 'Advice for Teachers' p.66 which refers to "DataBase
Management Software" (DBMS) when talking about the application, and
"database" when referring to the product of the DBMS?

Isn't it curious that the term "database" does not appear in the
glossary in the study design?

Oh, and in passing, page 66 of the study design (second last para)
refers to "strategies and devices for storaging ... data".  Storaging?
What a lovely new word!

Cheers

Mark

IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com