[Year 12 IPM] databases

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 28 17:02:52 EST 2006

I'd have to agree. My students aren't that fond of them because they
spend a lot of time in earlier years using Flash/Photoshop/Dreamweaver
and making nice sexy PowerPoints. Many of my students' parents have
micro-businesses - mechanics, beauticians, milk bars - so we try to
contextualise the task. I usually get them to do a lot of modelling of
flat file records and extend to simple one to many relationships.

I have to rewrite some of my tasks because we've upgraded from Access98
to AccessXP, but when I've validated and tested my tasks I'll share them.

Laurie

Trish Cotter wrote:
> For what its worth - this is my opinion about teaching databases
>
> whilst some of us may think that databases aren't sexy enough, they aren't a step backwards in my opinion. Databases are the bread and butter, heart and sole of information management - concepts taught when developing relational databases are extemely useful in IT. Content management on the web is the next huge area for kids to get a grip of so maybe I'll need some retraining in using MySQL, but I still think that for students to get even a little understanding of basic relational concepts is very important.
>

> ---
> Regards,
> Trish Cotter
> Koonung Secondary College