[Year 12 IPM] ITA ("IPM 2007") summary

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 3 19:38:05 EST 2006

Thank you Laurie for the first constructive comment so far

>The problem is the examined content of IPM, a lot of
> which is profoundly boring.
VCAA mandates an exam in the subject - study writers have no choice

>I would like to see the theoretical
> component limit its focus to SDLC, preparing design briefs and problem
> solving procedures.
In my experience, even this limited theory is considered 'profoundly boring'
by most students so if you have an exam what theory do you include? And this
course is supposed to be about Information Technology, not fingerpainting
with computers.

>My students are mostly from NESB and
> the textual component of the course with its emphasis on modern
> bureaucratic language puts them at a distinct disadvantage.
I agree this is an issue but all  technology subjects have been 'academised'
during the last six years or so of the VCE - brought about largely in my
view because of two VCAA mandates: increased emphasis on exams; any overlap
in content with a VET subject must be removed from the VCE subject - again,
this is not  something the study writers have any say in.

>From your previous email:
>If I were a student reading the study guide my immediate response would
>be "What the ..."
Study designs are not written for students, they are written for teachers -
it's your job to translate. I agree that doesn't necessarily make things
rosy and as far as I am aware the language of the study design has been an
issue since 1992. It seems to be one of those things that very hard to get
right and I guess as far as you are concerned it still isn't. All I can
suggest is that you volunteer yourself for the next writing effort and set
things straight.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC