[Year 12 IPM] ITA ("IPM 2007") summary

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 3 16:39:33 EST 2006

I'm new to IPM and even newer to this list and have no history in the
ongoing debates, but here is my two bob's worth.

If I were a student reading the study guide my immediate response would
be "What the ..." and then choose something else. The study design was
written in turgid impenetrable business-babble and IPM strikes me as a
course in search of content. Is it Office Admin., a course in Newspeak,
an Applications course or some mingling of these? Whatever it is I have
problems reconciling its dot points with either my students (all lower
ability) or the world of industry from which I came. Then there are the
small but specific issues such as "mandated or preferred content" which
does not appear in our text (Potts), was not defined in the glossary yet
was asked in the VCE exam. Are we asking the students to recall lists of
unrelated terms or develop and use problem solving skills? I like the
SDLC and problem solving sections, but so much of the rest seems like
filler. I'm sorry, I'm lumbered with teaching the course and I think I
do a good and innovative job, although I don't like the course and my
heart dropped at last year's VITA conference session on the new course.

Our 7 - 10 students are writing web sites to design briefs using Notepad
and Dreamweaver MX, creating Flash MX animations, playing with Visual
Basic, creating business stationery with Illustrator or Freehand,
developing more design briefs - and then we give them IPM. What an anti
climax!

Laurie

--
Laurie Savage