[Year 12 IPM] Build your own Tux

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 12:05:02 EST 2006

The free-penguin project page provides the 'executables' to make your own
soft-toy Linux(r) penguin. On this website are a string of numerous sewing
patterns and even an online community to build your own soft toy. Like all
good software, it is covered by the GPL so can be freely downloaded and
shared.

I loved showing this to my Information Technology students, asking them to
consider the following: What are the hardware requirements for this project?
Do you download the stable version of the sewing-pattern or jump in for the
untested but newer alpha model. If you are stuck or break a needle, do you
post a question to the forum or first search the on-line documentation for a
clue or patch? What are the licence limitations for merchandising?

By adopting the language used by many software project websites and
following community development and evolution but within the familiar
context of constructing a cuddly toy, my senior students with an ESL
background could quickly relate to the different IT terms used. :-)

http://www.free-penguin.org

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au