[Year 12 IPM] ultranet

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:59:20 EST 2006

Thanks Stephen, .. and we should add continue spending squillions to support
their software projects. Sadly, the educational landscape is covered with
the bones and parched remains of many good projects launched with good
intentions and early funding. I honestly wish Ultranet all the best but must
admit to having having some serious doubts about its long term viability ..
aware that it wont serve the needs of my Catholic and Independent school
friends on this list. Whilst NASA got a man on the moon by throwing money at
all and every problem .. even they stopped to take a breath and rethink the
mad race by forming strategic partnerships with a wider community instead of
reinventing the wheel.

Whilst open source solutions may not suit everybody, they do have nothing to
hide and provide avenues to grow and develop beyond the original project
brief. Solutions such as Moodle <http://moodle.org>can scale from small
sites such as primary schools to Major enterprises such as the Open
University. With any content or course management system, users can only get
out of it from what they are prepared to put into it. As I now remind my
student teachers, Windows is just an operating system, Cola is just
lemonade, Moodle is just another tool .. now get out there, inspire, raise
hell and make a real difference!

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au