[Year 12 IPM] OT : LAN gaming

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Feb 27 20:28:59 EST 2006

Suggest that only "games" that deliver quality educational outcomes be allowed in schools - full stop.
We go out of our way to make the distinction between the legitimate use of computers in homes for a variety of purposes (from sexual
gratification, through entertainment, to business and often some small education component) and the special use of computers in
school for exclusively education purposes.

Children arrive at school with a sense that the "natural" use of computers (and TV !) is entertainment.  Every time we allow this
within school, we accept that this is true and that educational activities are inherently second rate and can only be sustained with
extrinsic motivators or punishments.

I have the same opposition to the short-sighted use of videos,  entertaining excursion and being "let off" early as rewards for good
work.
They all add to the same perception that education is drudgery.  That all gain can be achieved without any pain.  That perseverance
is sometimes regrettably necessary in some subjects (probably because the teacher is not much good, or the content is old fashioned)
etc etc.

By all means involve students in game analysis and design which will involve playing in a disciplined, and reflective manner.  But
make sure that the games analysed, designed and played have deep intellectual content and preferably significant cultural
significance.

Students ARE challenged by playing war games - everything from chess, through RISK to historical battle simulations.  They can learn
excellent thinking skills, interpersonal strategies and a great deal of history IF the experience is guided by a good teacher (or
parent).

"Fun, amusement, entertainment" are often by products of a well designed educational activity - they should never be a core
objective - even at lunchtime.

As teachers, we can always invent some jargon filled rationalisation for what we often know to be capitulation to a culture of
"little brain".
If they are to play LAN games, make it "serious", make it challenging, make it  - make it educational.....  Can you do it ?
Honestly ?  If not, don't.

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617

We Trained hard.....but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be re-organised... I was to
learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by re-organising....and a wonderful method it can be for creating the
illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation. Petronius 210 BC

  _____