[Year 12 IPM] Loss of School-Issued laptops - was Audacity

Alex Hopkins a.hopkins at bcc.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 24 16:03:38 EST 2006

Diane Peat asked,

>I have another question that's off topic:  Does anyone know what their
> school policy is regarding the loss of school-issued laptops? We are an
> independent school and there is a lot of discussion going on currently
> because one of our staff members had her laptop in her car which was
> burgled.

Here's part of our policy.

Insurance and due care of the computer

8.         Before taking possession of the computer I examined it and am
satisfied as to its condition, quality, and fitness for education use.

9.         I understand that the cost of the laptop includes a payment for
insurance of the laptop against the usual risk of loss, damage and theft.
The cost of insurance is to be born equally by me and by the School.  The
School will be responsible to pay the excess on any claim in the case of
loss or theft occurring at school.  I understand that I am responsible to
pay the excess on any claim in the case of loss or theft occurring at any
place other than school.

10.       I acknowledge that it will be my responsibility to ensure that the
Computer is not exposed to abuse or willful damage.  I agree to ensure to
take reasonable security measures in respect of the computer, and agree
specifically not to leave the computer visible in any car or home when these
are vacated.

etc

Like yourselves, we're an independent school.  When I came into the IT
Manager role last year, the question was live here too, again because of
experience.  So I have attempted to word our new agreements in a way that
takes some advantage of that experience (at the cost of about $2000 to the
school).  The agreement refers to laptops that are being purchased under a
salary sacrifice scheme by staff members;  it doesn't contemplate
school-owned laptops going home.  That shouldn't be happening, so maybe it's
time staff here were reminded of that.  Thanks.

Alex Hopkins
IT Manager
Bayside Christian College

PS I think Audacity is great except that if the aup file becomes corrupted,
you're in trouble.