[Year 12 IPM] Audacity -- From the Administrator

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Fri Feb 24 10:36:58 EST 2006

Dear B.J,

     I am one who always looks forward to your considered contributions,
technical knowledge and valuable input into threads and discussions.
     Being both a teacher and a technician ( hands on IT manager at Forest
Hill College) I can honestly see both ends of the problem and would
like to ask more questions of the technician in this particular
thread.
     However, in your post of Wed Feb 22 16:29:19 below, you used language
that does not help the discussion or thread. As such it is against
the netiquette rules by which subscribers to edulists agree to abide
as outlined under the netiquette link at www.edulists.com.au. and
emailed to each new subscriber.
      So B.J. please don't lose the passion, just take care that
unprofessional language doesn't come through with it.
      The last thing we want with any of our threads is to have win/lose
scenarios where it means people stop posting because they feel
attached personally.

Best Wishes

> I don't always top-post.  I do the traditional "reply to highlights".
> After
> all, it is the reason why replies are indented.
>
>> My technician refuses to put Audacity on the network as
>> he doesnt like putting shareware or freeware on the network for security
>> reasons.
>
> He's a dickhead.
> The "security risk" is if students install their own stuff, which it
> sounds
> like isn't possible because he's plugged up any holes.  And many sites are
> reputable - it's not like it's something you found on Tucows.  Heck, look
> at
> the glowing reviews for Audacity.
>
>>  Can anyone recommend another sound editing software
>> that is not too expensive and not too complicated for students. thanking
>> you.
>
> Sound Recorder comes with Windows, isn't too complicated.  It's good for
> recording short sounds.  You can't do any manipulation with it though.
>
> For many years I have used GoldWave.  I got onto it after downloading AU
> files from Patrick Kenny's TV Themes Home Page back in 1995!  (There's a
> nostalgia trip from the early days of the Web - back before WAV was
> standard
> and well before MP3 was even devised!)  GoldWave is shareware.  I've found
> it useful, I prefer it to Audacity.  Only advantage Audacitiy has is the
> "re-tempo-ing"... perfect for mixing your own "versus" tracks.
>
> Thought I'd throw GoldWave into the mix for y'all.  But for schools I also
> think Audacity is the way to go.
>
> B.J.

> and

Kevork Krozian