[Year 12 IPM] Audacity

Bricks J. Winzer sarcophagus13 at iprimus.com.au
Tue Feb 21 20:28:13 EST 2006

I don't always top-post.  I do the traditional "reply to highlights".  After
all, it is the reason why replies are indented.

> My technician refuses to put Audacity on the network as
> he doesnt like putting shareware or freeware on the network for security
> reasons.

He's a dickhead.
The "security risk" is if students install their own stuff, which it sounds
like isn't possible because he's plugged up any holes.  And many sites are
reputable - it's not like it's something you found on Tucows.  Heck, look at
the glowing reviews for Audacity.

>  Can anyone recommend another sound editing software
> that is not too expensive and not too complicated for students. thanking you.

Sound Recorder comes with Windows, isn't too complicated.  It's good for
recording short sounds.  You can't do any manipulation with it though.

For many years I have used GoldWave.  I got onto it after downloading AU
files from Patrick Kenny's TV Themes Home Page back in 1995!  (There's a
nostalgia trip from the early days of the Web - back before WAV was standard
and well before MP3 was even devised!)  GoldWave is shareware.  I've found
it useful, I prefer it to Audacity.  Only advantage Audacitiy has is the
"re-tempo-ing"... perfect for mixing your own "versus" tracks.

Thought I'd throw GoldWave into the mix for y'all.  But for schools I also
think Audacity is the way to go.

B.J.