[Year 12 IPM] colour printers

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Feb 7 08:13:19 EST 2006

And let's not forget the differences between RGB and CYMK, and Gamma
correction on monitors, and the many other things that complicate colour
reproduction on computers  :-)

Rupert Russell wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Well apart from the incorrect grammar In my limited experience both
> colour laser & inkjet printers can have difficulty in accurately
> reproducing colours as seen on a screen.
>
> The colour laser printer we have at work consistently prints all images
> way too dark.  My A2 (not a typo)  Inkjet printer at home has problems
> with reds (they come out too brown) though the blues are fine.
>
> Don't forget that colour that I see on my monitor would differ if I put
> another monitor on my computer or changed the temperature of the
> display.
>
> Take a look at the following articles for more information:
>
> Mainly Monitors - Digital Basics
> Part 5: Monitor Calibration
> http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa031003e.htm
>
> color temperature
> http://www.answers.com/topic/color-temperature
>
> Without spending time trying to calibrate your colour printer with your
> monitor it is unlikely that any colour printer whatever the technology
> will accurately reproduce all the colours you see on your computer
> screen.  Also don't forget that the screen is "back lit" which tends to
> make a big difference.
>
> Hope that helps a bit.
>
> Rupert.
>

> From: "Maggie Iaquinto" <IAQUIM at bialik.vic.edu.au>
>
> Well, the grammar is wrong. It should read: "The quality of the printout
> from a colour
> laser printer is far superior to that of an ink-jet printer..."

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com