[Year 12 IPM] colour printers

Rupert Russell r.russell at ballarat.edu.au
Tue Feb 7 02:12:59 EST 2006

Hi Robert,

Well apart from the incorrect grammar In my limited experience both
colour laser & inkjet printers can have difficulty in accurately
reproducing colours as seen on a screen.

The colour laser printer we have at work consistently prints all images
way too dark.  My A2 (not a typo)  Inkjet printer at home has problems
with reds (they come out too brown) though the blues are fine.

Don't forget that colour that I see on my monitor would differ if I put
another monitor on my computer or changed the temperature of the
display.

Take a look at the following articles for more information:

Mainly Monitors - Digital Basics
Part 5: Monitor Calibration
http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa031003e.htm

color temperature
http://www.answers.com/topic/color-temperature

Without spending time trying to calibrate your colour printer with your
monitor it is unlikely that any colour printer whatever the technology
will accurately reproduce all the colours you see on your computer
screen.  Also don't forget that the screen is "back lit" which tends to
make a big difference.

Hope that helps a bit.

Rupert.

From: "Maggie Iaquinto" <IAQUIM at bialik.vic.edu.au>

Well, the grammar is wrong. It should read: "The quality of the printout
from a colour
laser printer is far superior to that of an ink-jet printer..."