[Year 12 IPM] Computer Lab usage

Joel Walton ixoye1973 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 31 15:35:57 EST 2006

Hi Brendyn,

We have had the same question on and off over the last
year or so.

We basically don't let students in the labs by
themselves. (Although year 12's are given 'loose'
permission if the room is unlocked)

We try to make sure that after every class that the PC
labs are locked. This is mainly due to damage to the
computers by students.

To teacher supervision, this raised the duty of care
issue with the students. The teachers aren't aware of
the student whereabouts, so that got knocked on the
head.

The ongoing problem we have with the pods is teachers
were supposed to send students to pods near to their
class where they could supervise them also. But they
are sending students roaming all over the school to
different pods expecting some other teacher to
supervise them when they could not see them or know
they were there until something happens. This comes
back to the duty of care issue.

As part of the leading school fund our school is
setting up a new building where there will be computer
resources, (not its sole purpose), where teachers will
be situated.  We also use the library pc's heavily
also.

I mainly try and tee up with a few of my fellow
teachers before hand, if possible, that I might be
using the pod or if I can put a few into a lab for a
short period of time with them.

Sorry I can't offer you more than that.

Cheers,

Joel