[Year 12 IPM] Blackboard video for RMIT

Steven Bird sb at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 15 18:17:03 EST 2006

I used Blackboard extensively last year and personally found it very
clunky, and found many of its features (e.g. announcements, discussion
forum) were some way behind the state of the art.  I experienced a
myriad of low-level problems with text-input, sessions, bookmarking,
extracting content for external use, and so on (more details on
request).  I also thought it was quite strange that there was no
localisation, so we had US spelling and date format!

Recently, I heard that Blackboard Inc is involved in a patent lawsuit:

August 2, 2006
Blackboard's Legal Moves Raise Fears

Blackboard Inc. has sued a rival in the business of e-learning
software, Desire2Learn Inc., accusing it of infringing a patent
recently awarded to Blackboard. Some education observers fear that
Blackboard's patent may be so broad that it could stifle competition.

http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/1459/blackboards-legal-moves-raise-fears