[Year 12 IPM] OT - cheaper EWB alternatives

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Tue Aug 15 17:44:55 EST 2006

OT - cheaper EWB alternativesHello Michael

I have been using one twice a week for the year now (maths and science). What I have found to be the single most useful thing is that a projector is permanently mounted in the room. That means I can just plug in and away I go. What I have found is really powerful is being able to switch between application quickly; eg a word doc open to add glossary terms (for students to add to their books); a ppt around which the lesson is based; and google waiting on tap to find pics or whatever to highlight or clarify points as they come up in discussion. I can flick between any of these in a blink without having to find whiteboard space somewhere to erase previous text so that I can then write more and so on.

The interactivity is cute and comes in handy (students can manipulate objects on the board which does add something to a lesson), but you can now buy what are effectively graphics tablets that let you interact with the computer in much the same way as the whiteboard itself, for a fraction of the cost. I also find that for normal whiteboard style writing (but it's really electronic) the boards are a poor substitute - letter formation can be poor and maing quick corrections can be fiddly (although that could be just me).

Being able to save the aftermath of a lesson is handy too, but again having a whiteboard that is of itself interactive isn't necessary for this

Having said all that, chatting to the tech the other day I found that the permanently mounted projector still accounts for the largest single component of the cost - and I would say that is where the value is, not in the fancy whiteboard!

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC