[Year 12 IPM] school HDD capacity

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Wed Aug 9 16:34:28 EST 2006

Encouraging staff and students to minimise their diskspace usage, and
educating them about using appropriate levels of compression for their
files depending on application and intended outcome are Good Things(tm)
to know and practice. All good food for thought for information
processing and management. ;)

However with the increasing importance of digital literacies, and ICT
for creating and thinking, storage is going to be more and more of an
issue. Gmail gives people 2GB to store email, and from an industry
perspective, I think that seems like a fair limit.

Drive space is cheap these days - the 'sweet spot' seems to be around
$0.55 per GB on 320 Gb serial ATA drives. Perhaps a diskspace upgrade
could be paid for by asking staff and students to pay $2 each to get
more network storage? 1Gb for students and 2Gb for staff?

I just took a look at some component pricing... you should be able to
build a no-name file server with 1.5 terabytes (1500 Gb) with hardware
Raid 5 for less than $5000.00 and of course linux is free. If you're not
sure about linux - ask Google what they're using to cache the web for
indexing.  ;)

Apple terabyte x-serve raid is $10k. Not sure about others like HP,
Dell, Acer, IBM etc...

Or take a look at Network attached file storage options and just adding
a GB somewhere to your existing network. An old Harris Technology
brochure I have here suggests such devices can be had for $1209.

Just a different angle to think about :) Remember, we once tried to
minimise memory usage by storing the year as 2 digits instead of 4 - and
look where that got us? ;)

- Donna

--
donna benjamin - executive director