[Year 12 IPM] backing up to your camera

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 23:13:38 EST 2006

A fascinating idea that was passed onto me by my technician Mike.

If you have a digital video camera, you can use the Firestreamer-DV
software on your computer to make your digital video recorder appear
as a regular tape drive to other applications. Files and folders can
be backed up and restored using existing tape backup software.
http://www.firestreamer.com/fs/Default.asp

A quick check of the MiniDV page on wikipedia revealed that a
60-minute MiniDV tape will hold approximately 13 Gigabytes of data. I
am not sure if it will replace my current backup strategy but it is a
interesting use of a digital video camera that I can share with my
students.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead