[Year 12 IPM] I'm leaping into the VoIP

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Sep 19 14:42:28 EST 2005

Dear all

I'm taking the plunge and cashing in my Optus home landline for a VoIP
phone account.  (Since I have cable internet, I don't need to keep my
existing landline as ADSL users have to do.)

I'm going for the ATA with DID - the ATA [Analogue Telephone Adaptor] is
a $120 black box that connects my existing phone to my router and the
internet.

The DID [Direct Inward Dial] is a virtual phone number that lets me call
real [PSTN] phones anywhere in the world and receive calls from real
phones from anywhere.

Alas, I can't keep my existing PSTN phone number  :-(

All calls [even STD] within Oz are 10c (untimed) and international calls
are about 33% or less of Telstra/Optus.  Monthly subscription is $10
(half of what Optus asks).

If you want a risk-free trial, you can get free VoIP using software and
headset/mikes but you can only talk to other people using the same
software if they're currently on the internet - you can't call normal
phones or get called by them.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Actively on Holiday from being
Manager - Information Systems