[Year 12 IPM] 2005 Exam

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sat Nov 12 08:19:12 EST 2005

Steve Colley wrote:
> To All
>
> I would like to say that I thought that the exam was generally a good
> one. Yes, there were a couple of issues that have been widely discussed,
> but overall the exam gave more capable students a chance to display some
> of their knowledge. In fact, I think the exam this year allowed that
> more than in years gone by.
>
> Its interesting how we focus on the negatives. Do we teach like that? I
> hope not.
>
> All of us have written SAC's and tests and exams that we thought were
> brilliant, only to find that the moment that the kids start on it, there
> are issues and ambiguities galore. Its not so easy!!!!!!

The examiners are meant to be the ultimate practitioners of question
writing.  Their testing and vetting is supposed to identify exactly
those ambiguities and errors in questions.

They should *not* be making the sorts of errors a typical classroom
teacher makes.  There's too much at stake.

It's a bit like saying the average driver has an accident every so
often, so airline pilots should be allowed the same privilege.