[Year 12 IPM] Multichoice Q5

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 10 12:43:01 EST 2005

Hi Ros.  I don't think the examiners *meant* it to be a trick question,
in the sense of "designed to mislead".

It just turned out to be terrible for several reasons.  A true turdular
shocker.  I don't know how it got past proofing, field-testing and ESL
checking, I really don't.

Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:
> My two bob's worth - if the teachers of the subject cannot agree on an answer, then obviously the question is flawed.
>
> Every question on an exam should have a correct answer that should be obvious to those students who have gained the knowledge of the subject through study and have the analytical skills needed to apply that knowledge to a new situation.
>
> And the answer whould be obvious to a group of teachers who teach the subject - if not then the question should be never have appeared.
>
> 'Trick' questions (IMHO) serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever, and do not necessarily sort out the excellent students from the mediocre. And of course in Multiple Choice there will always be the students who guess and still get it correct.
>

> Ros Meadows
> Bentleigh SC
> 9579 1044
> meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
>
> "Furious activity is no substitute for understanding." H. H. Williams

> A good student should recognise all of the references to copyright as nonsense (and hence irrelevant) and put response (d) mandatory as the correct response.
>
> Mark Scott
> Luther College

> Hmmm.  Indeed, it is difficult, stupid, and confusing, but I beg to
> disagree that a good student should deliver an obvious answer.
>
> What *is* the obvious answer?
>
> When it says "THIS is an example..." does "this" refer to the "copyright
> details" (optional), "charges" (mandatory) or "GST charges" (mandatory)?
>
> After all, there are 3 items listed on the invoice.
>
> The question is fatally flawed.  A 'good student' might guess the
> question was referring to the GST charges, but a top student could also
> say "optional" and deserve full marks.
>
> Students should NOT have to read the examiners' minds and compensate for
> seriously deficient questions.
>
> This question is the worst I have ever seen in an IPM exam.
>

> Mark Scott wrote:
>
>>Diificult, stupid, confusing question but one with an obvious answer.
>>
>>It was certainly a test for students. Good students will be fine.
>>
>>Mark Scott
>>Luther College

>>I guess it's safe to talk now.
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed something odd about multichoice Q5...
>>
>>Question 5
>>
>>Crazy Cartoons applies for and receives copyright for all cartoons
>>created by its artists. On their invoice to a client, Crazy Cartoons
>>lists the copyright details and charges and the GST charges related to
>>the copyright. This is an example of which type of convention?
>>
>>A. preset
>>B. optional
>>C. preferred
>>D. mandatory
>>

>>I mean - what the...?
>>
>>If I understand copyright law in Australia, one does NOT apply for
>>copyright and have it granted (as one does for Trade Marks and patents).
> [...]

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com