[elearning] Video Conferencing Guidelines for Students and Staff

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:01:44 UTC 2020

Scouts at Home is a support program launched by Scouts Victoria. Remember this is different from schools. Two uniformed leaders are present in each online session (we are trained in child safety and have a WWCC).

We have been using this week Zoom for group meetings (four sections spanning 5 to 18yo, or 80+ youth) .. and district meetings. I hid my home background using a cool virtual background feature built into Zoom. Not sure if Webex supports this.

Although the leaders had some of our own thoughts about what to do, after the whoops of delight and shared laughter, I was surprised to hear the ideas from the youth when challenged to suggest activities for term 2 and perhaps term 3. Certainly youth led, leader supported. Put your hand up if you have a question, mute all button etc.

It was very encouraging to see how agile our scouts are across this entire age span towards using this technology and it bodes well for teachers moving towards remote and flexible learning next term. I also observed how important this activity will be each week for the emotional and mental health of our youth to keep them connected with their peers in a safe, online space to avoid ‘cabin fever’.

Amongst the guidelines were these notes:

Nothing is more important than the safety of the young people in our care.
Child safety in an online meeting is similar to regular meeting in the hall. We follow the same protocols.
Parents are always welcome. Nothing is a secret in Scouting.
Parents will be curious to sit in on early online meetings. This is good!

Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuize