[elearning] TeachMeet in a Pub - Sat 2 Feb 2013

Hutchison, Geoffrey G hutchison.geoffrey.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Dec 18 22:52:03 EST 2012

Touche.

Geoff
McGuire College

From: elearning-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:elearning-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Adam Barbary
Sent: Tuesday, 18 December 2012 9:04 AM
To: elearning Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [elearning] TeachMeet in a Pub - Sat 2 Feb 2013

I think the points made in a previous post could do with a little more clarification.

1. Enterprise wireless is supported in Android from version 2, what is missing is support documentation for this. The setup procedure for some devices is confusing, as it looks like you are configuring for standard WPA. However there are apps that can do the job for you if you like. http://nickescobedo.com/222/connect-android-to-a-wpa2-enterprise-wireless-network

2. Openess leads to security issues? I hope I read this wrong. Openess is what makes security stronger. Its one of the reasons most of the Internet is hosted on Linux/Apache. Of course, If we're talking policies on the market place, we may need to look closer. Apple's lengthy approval process still allows for questionable apps, as nobody is going to scour the code completely. Yes Android allows for apps outside the market, but this is a boon if you're teaching students to write their own apps. As for data security, neither Android nor Apple iOS are good in this area, although Apple is worse on data leakage. http://www.zonealarm.com/blog/index.php/2011/03/androidiphone-apps-breach-users-privacy

3. Yes, this is a sad reality of constant development. It's also why Apple drops older models of their devices quickly from their upgrade cycle. Expect your shiny Apple devices to be obsolete after a couple of models. Android device suppliers need to be better address the discrepancy with versions and hardware, but if you're in charge of which devices you support, this is less of a problem. But how many fart apps do you really need?  http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-new-review-guidelines-thoughts-on-fart-apps/2410

4. Cost savings. Really? It would depend on your supplier, but there is very little in it. Apple has just upgraded its iPad, and the Galaxy tablets are still very similar (just not as cool http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/uk-judge-says-galaxy-tab-not-as-cool-as-ipad-awards-samsung-w/), even though they're several months older. Again there is also the feature range to take into account. Would you prefer a retina display or a USB port? You also have many models and price points for Android, this choice is somewhat limited with Apple.

5. Community. iOS has definitely been in the market longer and has more established writers. The quality of apps though, well they've have put a cap on fart apps. However, with Android sales storming ahead, this early start is unlikely to maintain an advantage. http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2012/05/ipad-vs-android-tablet-market.html#.UM6aQ7bB_m0
In relation to the openness comment above, the closed nature of Apple also leads to some strange unknown operations in iOS that frustrate app devs. Take the iOS feature that determines when to shut an app down. In Android you get a pop up asking if you want to close and wait, in iOS nothing. You've heard of Moodle I'm sure, try the mTouch app. Looks good, and you need it because of the lack of file system on iOS. However, try and upload a video of more than a few minutes. The device determines that the operation is taking too long/using too much CPU/Memory (who actually knows?), force closes the app. The poor dev can't code around it because Apple won't tell him what determinants are being used to shut down the app. I have this direct from the dev himself. "This is a limitation or a convenience forced by iOS. iOS task manager simply kills apps using more memory or CPU than the allowed limit. The bad part is Apple does not give any details about the algorithm or limits I have mentioned"

It doesn't matter which way you side, Apple or Android. They both have issues and benefits. Personally I'd much rather have an open system than a closed one, but am happy to play with iOS devices as much as I do with Android. I think choice is the way. What the apps do should be more important than the system they run on. And before anyone jumps on the Apple is easier/better interface bandwagon, for a little fun, try setting up a brand new Mac Mini as a server. :-)

Disclosure: Posted from my MacBook Pro.

Adam Barbary
Systems Analyst/Trainer
Centre for Learning Innovation and Professional Practice
University of Ballarat
at.barbary at ballarat.edu.au<mailto:at.barbary at ballarat.edu.au>