[elearning] Online roll marking - CRT

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Apr 16 09:14:00 EST 2012

As an ICT manager at a school that used Daymap, I used to give CRT's laptops as Daymap's instant bulletin (scrolling alert thingy) played an important part of our emergency management plan. We used that to communicate with staff privately if we had a lock down situation.  We just put an announcement over the P.A asking teachers to "Consult Daymap" if the CRT didn't have one, they were in the dark. We discovered it's effectiveness during one such lock down when we wanted to tell staff what was happening (medical emergency in the yard and we didn't want students crowding the area as recess was approaching) and staff were very appreciative. It helped stop rumours in their tracks and prevented fear and panic because people knew what was going on.
We also liked Daymap's photos etc for the CRT's benefit - also the CRT could leave notes for the teacher directly on Daymap rather than a "paper trail". I can't recall how we gave CRT's access to the absent teachers roll though, whether it was via a generic logon or what - sorry.
Cheers
Cameron