[Design and Technology] Criteria 6-9

Maryann AUGUSTINUS MAUGUSTINUS at unihigh.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 12 22:19:49 UTC 2020

MY VCE CO ORDINATOR SENT ME THIS -
I spoke to the VCAA Design and Tech curriculum manager, Leanne Compton, in
regards to the concerns you raised about VCE Product Design and she had
some useful advice.

Firstly she wanted to reassure us that it's ok if students do not finish
their products. SATs can be modified by only assessing the indicators under
each of the criteria that don't involve/require prac. She gave the example
for criteria 8, where teachers would assess students on indicator 2 only
instead of 1,2 and 3.  VCAA trust that teachers will still be able to
accurately rank their students so long as the school-based assessment is
consistent.

VCAA will be sending out advice to teachers shortly and are also planning
to set up some webinars. I'll let you know if I hear more details around
this. One thing to note is that VCAA will not be making any further changes
to U4.

Leanne also mentioned that some schools are asking their student to create
physical prototypes out of cardboard. This could be something worth
exploring for the woodwork students.  Have we investigated sending out
sewing machines/resource packs to students? This, of course, would have to
be done in a way that is equitable to all student in the cohort.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to support you.
I also encourage you to contact Leanne. She was really generous with her
time on the phone and easy to get a hold of. Her number is: 03 9032 1698.

Warm regards,