[Design and Technology] Product Design and Technology Examination

Lorraine Tran tranlorraine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 12:22:19 UTC 2019

Hi Craig (and all)

Thank you for your reply and continued concern about the e-bike information
and questions in the 2019 VCE Product Design and Technology exam (Section
A, Questions 7 – 9).

I appreciate that your concerns centre around the safety of students and
others as potential users of the bikes, along with questioning the legal
requirements for e-bikes in relation to the specifications in the
introductory information about the Nireeka described on page 8 of the exam.

In my opinion, your concerns are well grounded and your statements correct.
I would also question why a product with significant mechanical and
electronic components was included in the examination. Products with
significant mechanical and electronic components are the focus of VCE
Systems Engineering. VCE Product Design and Technology students are not
expected to know about these systems, but may have been inclined to include
reference to the systems aspects in their responses, particularly for
Question 8d. (two areas of legal responsibility) and to a lesser extent,
Question 8e. (research to develop a typical end-user profile).

In addition to the VicRoads website and The Guardian article I mentioned in
my earlier emails, I’ve done some more searching for relevant information.

In the Motor Comparison section of the Indiegogo.com website cited in the
exam (Nireeka, The Most Affordable Smart eBike) the following statement is
provided.

*‘Please refer to your country rules and regulations regarding using 250+W
motors.’ *

Craig - you provided the link to the Australian Vehicle Standards in your
latest email. One could reasonably expect that the writers and those who
complete the various checks of the examination would have referred to the
Australian/Victorian rules and regulations. There would be no problem if an
e-bike with a 250 W electric motor and top speed of 25kp/h was used in the
examination (although, in my opinion, it is still inappropriate as it
incorporates significant systems components).

I found an article* ‘*Fake e-bike unmasked in pedestrian death’ on Bicycle
Network at:

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsroom/2019/01/31/fake-e-bike-unmasked-in-pedestrian-death/

This article includes a link to the Victorian Coroner’s Report following
the death of an elderly man, Albert Dean May in Rye, Victoria in August
2015. (I have downloaded and attached this report.) Albert May died five
weeks after a so-called e-bike hit him as he exited a shop. The e-bike was
travelling at speed along the shopfront footpath. According to the *Herald
Sun/Mornington Peninsula Leader*, August 18, 2017, the rider/driver of the
e-bike was sentenced to two years jail.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/electric-scooter-driver-who-killed-86yearold-on-a-footpath-in-rye-is-sentenced-to-two-years-behind-bars/news-story/90d978f720cdb1a13297f135234e940b

The Victorian Coroner recommended changes to the laws
<https://www.coronerscourt.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-12/AlbertDeanMay_423715.pdf>
that apply to electrically assisted bicycles. On page 16 of the report
‘Finding into Death Without Inquest’ (Coronial Investigation into the death
of Albert Dean May, Court Reference COR 2015 4237, dated 29 November 2018)
the Victorian Coroner found that ‘the motor power output greatly exceeded
power-assisted pedal-cycle specification and it was in fact an electric
motorcycle that should have been registered and operated by a licensed
rider’.

Point 17 under the heading of ‘Classification of the vehicle which struck
Albert May’ says that the Coronial Brief included seven dynamometer tests
on the vehicle which revealed it output an average maximum power of 586
watts from the motor which means that it is a motor vehicle.

The death of Albert Dean is not an isolated incident as reported in the
Daily Mail 15 September 2018, updated on 18 September. This article is
titled *The new silent killer in our streets: Electric bikes may be green
and trendy, but last week they claimed their first British victim and
experts fear there will be many more*.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6171963/Electric-bikes-green-trendy-week-claimed-British-victim.html

It reported on the death of Sakine Cihan, 56, after an e-bike crashed into
her in East London. The article reports on the danger to pedestrians caused
by the weight of the machines (battery, motor and frame) which can cause
significant damage. The e-bikes can accelerate quickly, they are silent,
and simple to fit kits for ‘turbo-charging’ e-bikes are widely available
via the internet. Plug in attachments can trick the computerised speed
sensor and over-ride the software that restricts speed down to the 25 kp/h
(15.5mp/h) laid down in the law in most countries.

The Nireeka as described on page 8 of the examination is actually
classified as a motor vehicle because it is powered by a 500W motor and can
travel at speeds of up to 32 km/h. That means it travels at 7 km/h faster
than the limit legally allowed for an e-bike on public roads and bike paths
(note reference to ‘cruising smoothly through your neighbourhood at up to
32km/h’ in the examination).  An e-bike with these specifications can only
be used on private property.

The examination was devised by the VCAA, but is now in the public domain.
As such, there is a problem if students think it is ‘endorsed by Victorian
teachers’ (Craig’s words). In addition, it is more than likely that
teachers will want to use this as a practice exam in the future.

Questions should be asked of the VCAA about the appropriateness of
including examination questions about a so-called e-bike, with similar
specifications to those of an electric bike (motor vehicle) involved in an
accident that resulted in a fatality in Victoria just a few years ago.  One
can only hope that a relative/friend of the deceased, or witness to this
unfortunate incident in Rye was not a VCE Product Design and Technology
student who sat this examination or is likely to sit it as a ‘practice
exam’ in the future.
In my opinion, the VCAA must be informed of the issues outlined above (and
in Craig’s earlier emails) regarding the Nireeka in the 2019 examination.
It is then up to the VCAA to consider and address our concerns by taking
the appropriate actions.

Regards, Lorraine Tran.