[Design and Technology] Product Design and Technology Examination

Craig Abernethy cabernethy at salesian.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 8 08:07:20 UTC 2019

Hi Lorranine and all

Thanks for sending this interesting article. So am I right in reading the bike in the exam is twice the 250 watts stated by the Australian  Vehicle Standards and travels at 7kms faster than the limit legally allowed on the roads and bike paths?

The e-bike is defined by Australian Vehicle Standards<https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019L00198>. In 2012 the law was updated to bring Australia into line with European standards, which means it is legal to ride e-bikes with an electric motor of 250 watts of maximum continuous power that are activated by pedalling, at a maximum speed of 25km/h.

I hope my students or any others don't decide to go out and purchase this bike in the exam thinking Victorian teachers endorsed it and as a result do themselves or someone else an injury. With no insurance cover and highly possible a fine from the police.

Regards Craig